Welsh Cottage Rental | Self-Catering Holiday Cottages | UK Cottage Rental| Vacation Rentals

Home Page | Travel InsuranceCar/Motorhome/Van Hire Excess InsuranceCar Rental | Self catering accommodation in Wales | Holiday Home property Insurance for WalesAdvertise Your PropertyCheck List for Renters | Check List for Property Owners| About Us/Company Information/Cookies | Articles and information about Wales |Homelet Landlord & Tenants Insurance for Wales

Articles and information about Wales - Part Two Click here for Part One


Use the Search facilty below to find information on Wales and Property Websites for Property sales - Rentals - Mortgages -Surveyors - Conveyancing - Removals - Utilities - Home insurance -Building services - Holiday homes and more


Listed below are a selection of information about Wales

They written by independent contributors and welshcottagerental.com - jml Property Services takes no responsibilty for their accuracy

Anglesey is now on the Map Find out more here


Property Owners in Wales — Can you help a child affected by cancer have a much needed and deserved holiday? Click Here For more information


Time to think about University or College.. Don't forget Student insurance

It is that time of year again, a wet July afternoon and you are waiting for those all too important "A" level and Higher results will shortly be out and you will soon know if you have got into the universit or college of your choice.

Of course you might be at the end of your gap year and have already decided where to go. Newspapers are starting to feature universities. Thurdsday 23rd July 09, The Independent had a 8 page supplement on Welsh Univesities. According to the paper there are 12 scattered around the country including The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama where Sir Anthony Hopkins studied.

The majority are in the south and Cardiff has famous former students like politicians Neil and Glenys Kinnock, ITV Weather presenter Siân LLoyd and BBC Newsreader / Presenter Huw Edwards.My nephew also went there.

At Aberystwyth on the west coast one of my history teachers went there, quite a few years back even before Prine Charles was there!

No doubt over the coming weeks our newspapers will be full of articles on these seats of "Higher learning".

What is so important however is the fact that students will be out there searching for accommodation, making sure they have their ipods, lap top computers and mobiles to start off theit advance learning programme. They will be running up debt with the student loan, but wait for it what will they forget?

It will be the insurance for their belongings. Why? Well the reason is they often think that they won't have their property stolen.

However it happens a lot and what with the student loans and other borrowing, students don't want to have to keep on spending money on replacing their belongings.

jml-insurance.co.uk act as an advertising service to major companies like Endsleigh and HomeLet.

Do remember to take out insurance when you go off to University or College.

By the way, don't forget to insure your bike, even if you are going to a busy bike city like Oxford or Cambridge.

Back to top


The Caravan Club at the heart of the Welsh Tourism Review 09 July 2008

The Caravan Club was delighted to co-host the annual Wales Tourism Exhibition and Reception at the home of the Welsh Assembly Government, the Senedd in Cardiff Bay last week. The timing was particularly relevant as the industry is being consulted as part of a wide ranging tourism review. This has been commissioned by Tourism Minister, Rhodri Glyn Thomas with the Wales Tourism Alliance, to provide a deeper understanding of the current and future needs of tourism in Wales.

Caravan Club Chairman, Grenville Chamberlain, welcomed the gathered audience of Assembly Members and representatives from tourism businesses across Wales to the reception. One of the key aspects under consideration in the review is the sustainability of the tourism product. “The Club’s activities fit perfectly with sustainability ambitions,” commented Grenville Chamberlain. “Combining as it does care and respect for the land and its wildlife through our biodiversity initiatives, with consideration of the needs of local communities and rural economies across Wales.”

Rhodri Glyn Thomas, himself a keen caravanner and long-standing Caravan Club member, paid tribute to the wonderful experiences that caravanning can bring. “Nothing is more important to the sustainability of tourism in Wales than preserving our wonderful landscape and unique heritage,” he said. “Caravanning is a perfect way to explore our country and I recommend it anyone.”

Chair of the Wales Tourism Alliance, Julian Burrell OBE said “A key aim of the Wales Tourism Alliance is to inform our Assembly Members of the immense economic contribution that tourism makes to Wales. The Caravan Club helps to bring millions of pounds into Wales each year and its professionalism, energy and enthusiasm – and its commitment to quality – stands at the heart of the modern industry in Wales.”

Now in its 101st year, The Caravan Club is Europe’s premier touring organisation representing the interests of one million caravanners, motor caravanners and trailer tent owners. For more information visit The Club’s award-winning website at www.caravanclub.co.uk

Source The Caravan Club

Back to top


Fact File - England & Wales

Part "P" Building Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings)

From 1 January 2005, people carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens in England and Wales will have to follow the new rules in the Building Regulations. These apply to all properties either let as holiday rentals, long term lettings or owner occupied (not let). The rules are set out in Part P Building Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings). Failure to comply with these Regulations is a criminal offence, which could result in a maximum fine of £5,000 and or imprisonment.

Why has the Government introduced the new rules?

To reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations and to make it harder for 'cowboy builders' to leave electrical installations in an unsafe condition.

In very general terms these regulations require that works, repairs, maintenance etc., on "electrical installations", in certain areas of a property, are now known as "notifiable" works and as such must only be carried out by a "competent person".

Who is a "Competent Person"?

Someone who is currently registered with an approved self-certification scheme, which monitors and regulates his or her activities, competence etc.

The competent person can "self-certify" the relevant works and he (or she) then has a responsibility to provide the customer and the local authority building control department with a copy Certificate relating to the notifiable works. If your property is let out then you will need to maintain a copy of any such certificate in their management files for possible future reference.

Someone who is not a "competent person" could still do the works as long as they seek appropriate approval from their local authority Building Control department, before and after the works are carried out. In most cases an officer from the department will wish to visit the property and inspect the works and may require the applicant to submit suitable drawings or schematics.

What does an "Electrical Installation" mean?

Fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter in a dwelling or in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings; and that includes sheds, garages and greenhouses.

Non notifiable works:

Although you should take guidance from the Building Control department generally these would include repairs, replacements and maintenance; and additions or alterations to existing circuits outside kitchens and bathrooms: Replacing power sockets (white laminate with chrome for example), replacing a damaged power cable, replacing a light switch or ceiling rose, adding lighting points, sockets and fused spurs to existing circuits as long as they are not in a special location or special installation. Special Locations / installations: Kitchen – bathroom/shower room, garden lighting and swimming pools.

When the Notifiable work is carried out Will I get a certificate that the electrical work meets the requirements of the Building Regulations?

Yes - a qualified installer should give you a signed BS 7671 electrical safety certificate for all types of electrical work. If you use a registered installer for notifiable work, the operator of the registration scheme will send you a Building Regulations compliance certificate. If you use an unregistered installer for notifiable work, the Building Control Service will inspect the work to check that it complies with the Building Regulations before issuing a completion certificate.

What will happen if the owner does not follow the Building Regulations?

The electrical installation might not be safe. You will have no record of the work done. You may have difficulty selling your home if you do not have the right electrical safety certificates. Your local authority's Building Control Department may insist that you put right faulty work.

Where can I get more information?

From your local authority's Building Control Department who publish a free 'Explanatory Booklet on the Building Regulations'. Or visit www.odpm.gov.uk/explanatory-booklet for a copy.

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 04-05


Invest in a Holiday home property in Britain

There are now more and more people choosing to holiday in the UK and they don't want to stay in B&Bs, guesthouses or hotels. They want to go self catering and because the weather can never be relied on camping is out of the question. What is the answer? - self catering holiday accommodation.

Self catering holiday homes in Britain have a lot to offer a property investor compared to those abroad. Although in 2005 property value in the UK have not risen much and domestic rentals are still not too buoyant, weekly rentals are generally very good. You are not tied up with "tenants" all the time if you don't want to be and the owner can stay there from time to time.

As people are taking more holidays in Britain, house price in holiday areas have been doing well.The west country has the highest property surge over the past ten years with Truro in Cornwall coming top with a 272% rise.

Over the past five years other parts of Britain have seen a rise as well, like Blackpool in the north west of England. If prices don't rise (and remember your property is only actually worth the amount stated when you physically sell it) then naturally if you are buying, buy in an area that is popular with holidaymakers. You need adequate living, sleepingand washing space for the type of people you will want to rent out to. Kitchens need to be well equipped always with a washing machine, fridge frezer and if possible a dishwasher. Your renters are on holiday and they won't want to spend a week or two washing up!

You should consider gardens as well, depending your market either one just to sit in, have a few barbecues or a slightly larger one if you are encouraging families. Don't forget, however they have to be maintained and the visitors will not be doing this for you!

If you are borrowing money for this business, remember that you cannot expect a 100% occupancy. Allow for void periods - heating in the winter when it is empty and ongoing maintenance and cleaning before the new visitors arrive. We have prepared some tips for Holiday home CLICK HERE that should help. We also have another useful page on our English Cottage Rental / jml Property Services site on presenting a property CLICK HERE - this covers holiday lets and longer term rentals, but the basics still apply.

Finally you must market the property - There are many ways - Local tourist office - advertising in local, daily and Sunday newspaper, travel magazines, building your own website and you will find the majority of these are expensive. One website that is excellent value just £11.75 per year including VAT is our associated self catering site. jmlvillas.com. For more information click here

Good luck running your own self catering holiday home business

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 08-05

Looking for Holiday homes insurance in the UK Here CLICK HERE

Back to top


Residential Lettings - Inventories in the UK and the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

Although it is most advisable to have a very comprehensive property inventorty for each holiday let you offer - you should not need the procedure detailed below. You can however base your inventory on the information supplied in relation to detailed description etc.

The following information is basically for the longer term lettings market in the UK - Six months plus rental terms

An Inventory is essential for any letting these days be it furnished or unfurnished. (If the property is unfurnished it still would normally have carpet, windows, power points etc and all these should be taken into account.) A few years ago it was not heard of to use or even find a professional inventory clerk "north of Watford", but times have changed.

WHAT IS AN INVENTORY ?- An inventory is a binding legal document that provides an accurate written record of the condition and contents of a property at the beginning of a tenancy. It forms part of the contract / Tenancy agreement between a Landlord and Tenant. It is only effective if it is accurate so, all defects and soiling must be noted. Some landlords do not realise that although descriptions can appear uncomplimentary, it is those descriptions that will allow them to prove whether a tenant caused damage or is liable for cleaning costs.

Many individuals who let property think that a list of items will suffice, however if you have a dispute with a Tenant and have to go to court, this "shopping list" might be of little use. If you are having a professional inventory prepared, then normally the inventory clerk will supply three copies of the document. These should go to the Tenant, owner and a managing agent.

If you are preparing this yourself you should list the items in room order and give every item an individual number. You should include the following details with detailed comments are shown beside each description: (If you are using a professional inventory clerk they should automatically do this anyway).

Interior condition and decorative order, plus the fixtures and fittings including: doors, windows, drapes/blinds, ceilings, walls, carpets etc

Furniture and other contents, excluding items which the Inventory Clerk considers as expendable, such as magazines, living plants etc.

Gardens are described in layman's terms only. Garden statues, sheds, outbuildings etc will be described as deemed appropriate.

Lofts, cellars and similar areas are not normally covered.

Power points and telephone sockets etc

You should also include the keys and description supplied.

To minimise costs, most inventory clerks include items which are of little real value in general terms i.e. "a quantity of .etc..". Examples of such items are books, tired bedding, used kitchen utensils/tableware etc. You will find that if you are using a professional inventory clerk, that naturally you will pay more for the make if for example you have left your book library in the letting, as every book would have to be listed.

Should a property contain anything considered an antique or of great value the Inventory Clerk must be notified and if possible, ideally, valuations should be provided

Pre Inventory Cleaning: It is recommended that a property is cleaned to a professional standard for the start of a tenancy paying particular care to carpets, curtains, upholstery, kitchens and bathrooms. If an item is soiled at the start of a tenancy a tenant can not be charged for cleaning it at the end. Landlords are also advised to retain all receipts.

CHECK IN: At a Check in, an Inventory Clerk inspects the property and compares it to the inventory. Any variations seen are noted on the inventory. In many cases when an independent clerk is used they will dictate the inventory and "make it" at the same time as the check in. This is basically because in so man situations there is not time to visit a property and "make" the inventory and then have it typed up in time for the check in when a tenant moves in. If you are making this yourself then you should have time to prepare the inventory ready for the tenant checking in.

If the property has been let before, then normally the same inventory will be used, however if there have been significant changes to the property since the inventory was last used it is likely that a new inventory will be required or an up date.

The 'master inventory' (that agreed at the Check-in) should be kept safe for use at the end of the tenancy or in the event of a dispute. The tenant should be provided with a copy together with a copy of their signature on the declaration page. One copy of the inventory should be handed to the tenants at the time of the check in. If the "make" is done at the time of the check in, the Letting agent or owner should post the inventory document to the Tenant asking them to acknowledge safe receipt of it in writing and let them know in writing within so many days if they do not agree with any of the comments.

It is also advisable to write to the Tenant when they move in with the following advice: "NOTES ON AVOIDING PROBLEMS DURING AND AT THE END OF TENANCIES It is suggested that you familiarize yourself with the obligations you are responsible for under the Tenancy Agreement, particularly regarding Rental Payments, Cleaning, Gardening, Noise and Pets. You must pay rental right up until the end of tenancy, unless you have a break/release clause in the agreement. Under the terms of your tenancy, the deposit cannot be used to pay rent.

Please can you pay particular attention to the following:

Carpets, Curtains You will be responsible for leaving the property in a good and clean condition at the end of the tenancy. When the inventory agent checks you out fair wear & tear is taken into consideration. You should have the carpets and property professionally cleaned and it is advisable to retain any receipts for this work. Be very careful laundering curtains, because if you accidentally shrink or damage them, you will be charged for replacements. If in doubt seek professional advice before cleaning them

General Cleaning It is a good idea that your cleaners pay attention to dust on skirting boards, condensation stains on windows, frames, light fittings, and bathroom fittings, kitchen cupboards etc. Windows must be cleaned regularly and unless you are in a block of apartments the external glass as well. If you do not want to do this, please employ a window cleaner. Ensure that the tops of kitchen cupboards are cleaned. Cookers, grills, oven are clean including under the hob rings. Remember that fat can splash down the sides of cookers. Fridges and freezers should be defrosted regularly throughout the tenancy. This ensures they perform better and ice does not obstruct the opening & closing of compartment doors. Beware of washing paintwork with bleach and make sure that lime scale build up is regularly removed from toilets.

Chimneys Please make sure that these are swept annually, the best time will be after the winter, but under the terms of the tenancy, if there is a working fire at the property, You should retain receipts from the chimney sweep.

Decoration & wall surfaces If you need to touch up paint during the tenancy or at the end make sure you are using the correct colour and texture. It is no good touching up vinyl silk with vinyl matt. You must obtain consent if you want to hang any pictures etc. If walls are badly marked, you could be charged for redecorating all the room. You must not carry out any redecoration (other than that described above) with out the written consent of the Landlord. Please take great care when moving furniture about, or when your removal contractors are moving your belongings about. We have found from experience that much of the damage to decoration and doorframes is caused by boisterous children or badly trained pets. Please also take great care with your Landlord's furniture

Defects of the property You must notify the Landlord or Managing Agent about any defect at the property, or if equipment does not work. You should not call out a contractor yourself to repair an item, unless you broke it and would be responsible for payment.

Gardens Unless there is not a garden or the Landlord is employing a gardener, you are responsible for keeping the garden in good condition. If the garden is not properly maintained a professional gardener will be employed to put it right and you will be charged. If you are unable to undertake the work, we advise you employ a professional gardener.

Outbreak of fleas, vermin or similar household pests etc If there is an out break of household pests one month after the initial tenancy, it will be your responsibility to have the problem attended to.

Guttering, drainage pipes and cold weather precautions Please remember you are responsible for paying for the unblocking of waste pipes, keeping guttering cleaned (unless in an apartment) and ensuring the pipes do not freeze up in the winter months. Be very careful not to put boiling fat down sink drains and to clean out gutterings in the autumn. If you leave the property in the cold weather, keep the heating running and if you are going to be away for a few days have the entire system professionally drained down, It is no good just turning off the cold water supply if there is still water in tanks and radiators."

CHECK OUT: - At the end of the tenancy a Check out inspection is carried out. Notes are made on the 'master inventory' of any variations since the Check in. An inventory clerk will then list the significant differences on a Check out report.

Cleaning is often a major area of dispute. Landlords and tenants are advised to retain all receipts relating to cleaning and repairs carried out before or during a tenancy. It should be noted that an Inventory Clerk cannot comment usefully on any alterations or additions made after the Check in unless he/she was instructed to revisit the property in order to examine these changes at the time they were made.

A useful aide memoir is send a tenant a letter a couple of weeks before the moving out /check out date with the following information in it "Professional cleaning The following is a description of what professional cleaning entails which has been provided by a professional cleaning company and may prove helpful prior to your check out being carried out.

KITCHEN Sink taps de-scaled and cleaned, sink cleaned. All wall tiles cleaned and polished. All paintwork washed an all worktops cleaned. All cupboards cleaned inside and out. Floor cleaned

COOKER Degreased and cleaned including all shelves and dishes, extractor fan degreased and cleaned.

FRIDGE Cleaned inside and out and defrosted.

WASHING MACHINE Cleaned inside and out, soap dispensers removed if possible and cleaned

Any other appliances cleaned

BATHROOM All taps de-scaled and cleaned, sink and bath cleaned. Toilet de-scaled and cleaned. All wall tiles cleaned and polished. Any other fittings cleaned. Floor Cleaned.

ADDITIONAL ROOMS All other rooms paintwork washed. All carpets cleaned and stains professionally removed if possible. All furniture cleaned and polished. Upholstery cleaned upon request."

The Check-out report is the basis for most claims made by landlords. A claim is most often viewed more favourably if compiled by an independent and unbiased party such as an Independent Inventory Clerk, particularly in a Court of Law.

Another area of major concern is "Fair Wear and Tear" - This has been defined in part through the legal process. A tenant cannot be held responsible at the end of a tenancy for changes to a property's condition caused by what the House of Lords has called "reasonable use of the premises by the tenant and the ordinary operation of natural forces (i.e. the passage of time)." A professional inventory clerk uses experience and common sense to assess the many factors present before reaching a judgement as to how much should be allowable for Fair Wear and Tear. Amongst other things they will consider:-

The quality of the supplied item (and that varies greatly)

The condition at the start of the tenancy

The condition at the end of the tenancy

Any extenuating circumstances

It is important to realise that the Law does not allow for betterment. This means that a landlord can not expect to have old replaced with new at a tenant's expense. A Fair Wear and Tear allowance must be considered. A tenant has a duty of care to return the property at the end of a tenancy in the same condition, Fair Wear and Tear excepted, as that recorded on the Inventory at the start of their tenancy.

Decorations have an accepted life expectancy. However, there may be circumstances where excessive wear and tear require a tenant to pay compensation or charges to make good, e.g. numerous nail or picture pin holes, torn wallpaper, gouges in walls/woodwork etc. Charges for cleaning, making good etc are often apportioned to account for Fair Wear and Tear.

Example: A tenant renting a property and the inventory from the Check in inspection notes that the carpet in the living room had not been freshly cleaned and had a few spot marks. At the end of the tenancy, the Check out report notes the carpet as soiled. In this scenario the landlord should not be entitled to full compensation for the carpet cleaning costs. A fair solution would be for the tenant to pay a percentage of the cleaning costs which would be calculated by a professional Inventory Clerk

Remember, without an inventory report it may prove difficult for a landlord to make a successful claim against a tenant for damage repair or cleaning costs. Tenants should also be aware that if an inventory does not include sufficient notes on the condition of items at the start of the tenancy, they may be charged for damage or cleaning that is not their liability. To ensure that end of tenancy negotiations can be dealt with quickly and easily it is best to make sure that:

A full inventory is prepared before a tenancy starts

The inventory is checked very carefully during the Check-in inspection and agreed by both parties

The Check-out inspection is thorough and any items that may lead to claims are witnessed.

If you use a Professional Inventory Clerks, they are carrying this out as their business and spend all day every day

inspecting properties to make sure that there is sufficient written evidence to protect landlords and tenants.

Back to top



Residential Lettings - Tenancy Deposit Scheme(TDS) - UK

In the private sector many tenants have been giving their landlord a deposit against possible non-payment of rent or damage to property. When a tenancy comes to an end, if there is a disagreement about the return of the deposit, much hardship and inconvenience is suffered by both the landlord and tenant.

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) means that as from April 2007 deposits will have to be placed in the authorised Tenant Deposit Scheme. These will either be in "custodial" or "insurance" schemes which will be run by independent third providers. These schemes will be able to help resolve disputes. Landlords who take deposits will have to join a scheme. If they don't they risk having to pay a penalty of three times the deposit to the tenant.

SEE The Tenancy Deposit scheme

In the Custodial scheme landlords will pay deposits into an account where it will stay until the tenancy ends, when either party can apply to have it returned. Once the landlord and tenant agree on how it should be split the scheme adminitrator pays out.

The insurance scheme is more complex in that the deposit will be kept by the landlord on the basis that when the tenancy ends, the amount agreed between landlord and tenant will be paid out to the tenant.

The insurance only comes into effect if at the end the tenancy the landlord doesn't pay back part or all of the deposit. If this happens, the tenant can ask the administrator to step in and the landlord will have to pay the amount in dispute into an account until the dispute is settled. The insurance will pay out if the landlord fails to pay the deposit into the account.

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 11-05

Back to top


Buy to let – UK- Water Meters and Housing Act 2004

The Buy to Let market has been growing considerably in the UK since the mid 1990’s.

If you are considering purchasing a second or third property to let out, consider the following:

It should be a medium to long term investment – it is no good purchasing a property on a rising market and selling it a couple of years later. You might have made good money on it, but where are you going to get your income from 10-15 years later on?

Decide upon the area – Will it be where you live or in a town 200 miles from your home? Contact an experienced letting agent – They know the market – even in the area you live in. The agent should be a member of one of the professional associations in the UK – ARLA – NALS- NAEA – RICS etc.

MaintenanceAvoid purchasing a property that is likely to cost a lot on maintenance. Has it got flat roofs for example?

FinanceYou should calculate rental and mortgage payments. Take into consideration that there can be rental void periods during the year, rents can go down and mortgage rates increase.

DetailThe property should be well equipped – kitchens – bathrooms to high specification – tenants have plenty of choice generally in the UK and if your property is not up to standard they won’t rent it. If you are furnishing the property don’t consider second hand furniture. The decoration should be light and neutral colours are best.

GardensTenants generally do not like gardening. Think very carefully if you are going to buy a property with a very long back garden. Who will maintain it? A gardening service can be expensive, but you should be able to offset the costs off your tax bill. Consider making the garden easy to maintain – gravel on the flower borders, good size patios for barbecues in the summer and if you still have a lawn remember to leave equipment to maintain it with.

General Information & Points to note before letting your property: Buy to let –Investment and Returning owner occupiers

This information is given for general guidance only and should therefore not be relied on. It has been prepared by an experienced letting agent operating in the UK market.

It is essential that your property be presented well for letting. It should be well decorated, clean and tidy to attract a tenant who will pay a good rental.

Under the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act, Landlords have a legal responsibility to ensure that Tenants are “safe from harm”. This means ensuring that Landlords provide housing that is fit for habitation.

A property available for rent, must be supplied and maintained to a good standard. Landlords must ensure the structure, hot water and water supply, lighting heating and ventilation is maintained throughout the tenancy.


There are several ways to let a property:

Advertise it yourself in the local paper

Advertise on the Internet

Advertise in local shops

Instruct a professional Letting Agent

If you are instructing an agent consider using one that is a member of one of the following professional organisations:

ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents)

NALS (National Approved Letting scheme)

NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents)

RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)

If the letting goes wrong or there are problems receiving your rent, in many cases if you use an agent that belongs to one of these organisations you can take the issue up with the relevant governing body. Tenants often feel more confident renting a property through an agent that belongs to a professional association.

PRESENTING THE PROPERTY – decoration , furnishing, equipment to leave

DECORATION - The quality of the interior decoration may substantially affect the level of rental achieved. Although it is not possible to redecorate your own personal home prior to letting it if you are leaving for work overseas for example, it is essential that you follow these guidelines if you are planning on letting an investment property. It is advisable to follow them as far as possible if you are a returning owner occupier.

Carpets and walls should be neutral. Whites, creams and light pastel shades and these make a cleaner, fresher impression.

Paint finishes are much easier to maintain than wallpaper. Good quality curtains and carpets should be provided as they will have much longer life normally which is most important if you are planning on letting for several years. Magnolia has now become very dated and should be avoided if possible.

Kitchens should be well equipped (see follow on section WHAT TO LEAVE) and bathrooms should have high quality modern fittings, including a power shower whenever possible (overseas visitors will usually expect one), good lighting and tiled flooring. If you are refitting your bathrooms, white fittings never really go out of date.

Wood flooring is now very popular and gives the illusion of more space. Kitchens should be tiled or have vinyl covering and not carpets unless they form part of a kitchen /diner and the carpet is then suitable for the dining area. If you are installing wood flooring in an apartment, please check with the freeholder if it is a new development, as they are not permitted in some developments because of the noise factor.

Lighting is very important for any let. Downlight spotlights in Kitchens, bathrooms and other areas help. In furnished properties, consider providing some table lamps. Don’t forget adequate lighting outdoors (often with the use of sensors) to have as a safety feature for the property.

If you have bought a property to let, make sure there are toilet roll holders, towel rails, mirror, bathroom cabinets or shelves in the bathroom.



If you are showing a prospective Tenant around, the following guidelines should be noted: The property is clean, there are no dirty washing up items about and if there are any unpleasant odours, open some windows and let some fresh air circulate.

Bathroom areas should be clean and leave the toilet seat down. Beds should be covered.· Although you might be concerned about people walking on your carpet, some tenants are not too happy about being asked to take off their shoes.

Lighting – even in summer we can have some very dull days, so turn the lights on first. Lights make a property welcoming. If the viewing takes place after dark, make sure your front door outside light is switched on.

Curtains – If the curtains are pulled over during the day, pull them back. Just like ensuring sufficient artificial lighting, natural lighting is equally as important and can give the impression of more space particularly in smaller properties and rooms.

Garden areas - Make sure the garden is tidy and inviting


UNFURNISHED Let with curtains, carpets and kitchen equipment – Electrical goods. (N.B. some electrical goods e.g. washing machines can be rented)

PART FURNISHED Let with the above plus occasional furniture – some beds, settee or dining table and chairs etc.

FULLY FURNISHED Let with the above, but including all furniture, china, crockery. & Cutlery etc. Do not leave the property with too much furniture as the appearance could be cluttered and rooms appear smaller than they are.

WHAT TO LEAVE – Basic Requirements for a Furnished Letting

Unless a let is in central London, Bedding, towels, TV’s, Videos are not included. However, you might be requested to allow the tenant to erect a satellite dish.

It is recommended that all items of sentimental or real value be removed as even the most careful of tenants have accidents. If you are a returning owner occupier It is important if personal possessions are stored in a secure area or with friends or family.

If you are storing the items at the property, the storage area should be secured and keys left at the managing agents offices or with a relative or friend who can be easily contacted.

Emergency access should not be denied to a tenant in respect of gas/electricity/water mains and storage cisterns. N.B. be careful how you store your belongings. Attic areas can become very hot in the summer and garages can become very damp in the winter.

Furnishings –Each room must have adequate furniture for the Tenants’ need and we list below the minimum for an average 4 bedroom property. Some wall pictures can be included.

Lounge – Three piece suite, or two sofas, or four lounge chairs, coffee table. Occasional light

Dining Room – Dining table, chairs sideboard/dresser/storage.

Kitchen – Modern cooker, fridge/freezer or separate units, washing machine, tumble dryer, (in an apartment consider a washer/dryer) Microwave – not essential, but becoming more popular.

Kitchen equipment – Crockery, cutlery, glasses, cooking knives, chopping board, saucepans, frying pan, wok, electric kettle, toaster, coffee/tea mugs/cups/saucers, colander, baking tins, bottle and can opener etc.

Bedrooms – Beds (complying to Fire and Furnishing regulations), with mattress protectors, wardrobe, bedside table, bedside lights, chair, chest of drawers/dressing table, adequate storage for the number of occupants.

Bathroom/shower room – shaver point, wall cabinet, toilet roll holder and towel rail.

General Household equipment-Vacuum cleaner and tools, brushes, dustpan, ironing board & iron.

Garden equipment- Unless you are providing a gardening service, you should supply a lawn mower (that is capable of cutting long grass if the tenant misses some cuts), spade, fork, rake, shear, hoe, wheelbarrow, ladder etc. You might also like to consider supplying garden furniture.

General: Make sure there are sufficient TV& telephone sockets around the property Most tenants usually have a computer these days and require Internet access.

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 11-06

Back to top

Christian Lewis Trust Children's Cancer Charity

Articles and information about Wales - Click here for Part One

Anglesey is now on the Map Find out more here


Property Owners in Wales — Can you help a child affected by cancer have a much needed and deserved holiday? Click Here For more information





Taking a Holiday in Wales? Don't forget your Travel Insurance - Click on logo for Details        


Renting a car (or motorhome or van) in Wales?


  Looking for a hotel in Wales ? - Use the search facility below


Holiday vacation properties in Europe's most popular holiday destinations & other world wide destinations - Click On Image





See also:

jml Group Blogspot sites - add your comments to:

jml Property Insurance

jml Training & Consultancy

Car hire excess insurance

jml Villas Holiday Homes

Irish Property Insurance Plus

Find jml on Twitter

jml Insurance

jml villas

jml Training


Irish Property Insurance

Find jml on facebook

jml villas

jml Insurance

jml Training

jml Group Media Coverage

Press Room Press Releases from Irish Property Insurance Plus

jml villas.com Press Releases

jml villas.com / euro-rentavilla.com Media Coverage

jml Insurance Media Coverage

jml Property Insurance Press Releases

jml Insurance Press Releases

jml Training Consultancy Press Releases

the low cost villa advertising service

Advertise your  Holiday Home Property - just £12.50 a year including VAT... CLICK HERE for Details


jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA, England

weather | currency convertor | Links | Contact Us | Cookies Policy

Find us at | | | © 2004 -2017 jml Property Services - All rights reserved